Friday, April 6, 2018

GSWPA volunteers have H.E.A.R.T. | Guest Blog with Emily Parana

Hand-raiser. Expert. Advocate. Resource. Teacher.

Emily was nominated as a GSWPA volunteer with H.E.A.R.T. for her commitment to her Service Unit and her passion for leading girls through wonderful meetings and events.

Troop 26521
Emily Parana
Kane | Troop 26521

This is my sixth year as a leader. I love it when my Girl Scouts learn a new skill and feel great about themselves—they want to take on the world.

There are so many moments that I'll never forget! I'll never forget how my troop came together on a survival-style camping trip. The Girl Scouts who were skilled at fire-building took charge of that so we could cook, and everyone had to prepare their own food and wash up. They were a well-oiled team without prompting, and they were so proud of themselves. It was wonderful to see.

I want my Girl Scouts to remember that there are no obstacles, only challenges. I'd like them to remember a leader who became a lifeguard at age 40 when we needed one for camp, along with becoming Archery and Canoeing certified, a leader who backpacked with them up over hills with gear, and we made up a cadence to make it easier.

I hope they remember that Girl Scouts made them stronger and that they feel proud of themselves.

Ask your Girl Scout to share what their volunteer means to them by sending us one of these: 
• A photo of the two of them together 
• A photo of a short, hand-written note of thanks 
• A short thank you video 
Send all media to socialmedia@gswpa.org.