Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Gold Standard: Women share their stories of earning the highest award

As part of our celebration of the Gold Award 100th anniversary, we're sharing stories of women--from the business community, council staff, GSWPA volunteers and our own Girl Scouts--who have earned the highest award in Girl Scouting.

Today we're featuring an interview with Katie DeCapria, Digital Marketing & eCommerce Coordinator at 4moms, and a 2004 Gold Award recipient.

What role has Girl Scouts played in your life?
  1. Hard work. I served as an assistant camp counselor for several summers which laid a solid base in my work ethic. Those are long days that try your patience and energy level.
  2. Appreciation for different people. Even before it was "trendy,” the Girl Scouts have always been super inclusive of all types of people. Growing up in a more homogenous school, I appreciated this opportunity to make friendships with girls from different races, religions and backgrounds.
  3. My career. It was through the Girl Scouts that I found my passion for business. Originally, it was to be an entrepreneur but that evolved to my current profession in marketing. I participated in a business plan competition in my senior year which provided a ton of experience when applying to colleges.

Has earning the highest award helped you in your career?

My involvement in the Girl Scouts built up my confidence in a significant way while in a safe environment.

Tell us about your Gold Award project.


My Gold Award project was inspired by the cultural aftermath of 9/11. It was 2003-ish and at 16 years old, I couldn't help but notice and be worried by a growing division and prejudice among religious groups. It was a very sensitive time in the country for Muslims and I had this urge to show people that we really aren't different. There are commonalities within all major religions of the world -- kindness, honesty, compassion, and service. With the help of my friends and family, I secured four speakers, all of whom were religious leaders in major faiths (Islam, Judaism, Catholic, and Christian). They all spoke to those similarities as well as provide a little education on their religions' history, culture, etc.

The goal of this project was to showcase how we're one world, all united by a need to be kind and open to one another. The more we know about one another, the more accepting we will be of one another.


Join us!

Are you a member of this elite group of women who have achieved the Highest Award in Girl Scouts? Since 1916 these women have earned the Golden Eagle of Merit, Golden Eaglet, Curved Bar, First Class and the Girl Scout Gold Award. 

Join our network to connect with other award recipients and receive invitations to events for Girl Scouts’ top advocates, donors and supporters. Join today at gswpa.org/highest-award.