Monday, March 7, 2016

Camp Corner: Camp Redwing Rocks!

For nearly more than 90 years, Camp Redwing has been the place where girls go for a traditional resident camp experience. Just 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, Camp Redwing is a natural oasis on 123 acres along Connoquennessing Creek. Whether you stay for two nights or two weeks, and take part in just a couple or all of the awesome activities that are available, there's something for every camper at Redwing!




Camp Redwing at a Glance


Location: Renfrew, Pa., Butler County. Only 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. (See map.) 
Types of Camping: Girls can camp overnight with their troop, family, by herself or with a buddy.
Amenities: Archery range, canoeing, horseback riding, swimming pool with water slide, GaGa pit, hiking, volleyball court, amphitheater


Meet the Camp Staff

Kate Bailey
Camp Director


Tell us about yourself. I’m originally from Nebraska, and I grew up going to Girl Scout camp. My favorite sessions were nature-based camps and canoeing trips, and later I completed the CIT 1 and CIT 2 programs (counselor-in training). I started working at camp just as soon as I was old enough, and so far I haven’t had a summer without it! I love traveling, and as of this year I’ve been to 38 states. I also love going hiking and I do a bit of nature photography as well. I own two cats, named Louisa May Alcatt and Nathaniel Pawthorne, and a fish named Leonard.

What’s your favorite thing to do at camp?
I love outdoor cooking and primitive camping! I think it’s so much fun to figure out what you can cook over a fire, and it always tastes great when you make it yourself. It’s even better when you get to sleep out under the stars afterwards!

What do you like best about working at Girl Scout camp?

Definitely all the people you get to meet. Camp Redwing has an amazing community of campers, staff, parents, and volunteers that share an amazing bond through camp!


Do you have a favorite GSWPA camp memory?
Fireside Greetings at the Amphitheater is always my favorite, it’s hard to pick just one time though! I love singing songs with everyone, and getting to see both campers and staff show off how funny they can be.