Girl Scouts is partnering with The Student Conservation Association (SCA) to create an incredible opportunity for service-minded, outdoor-loving 15-18 year old Girl Scouts.
Join Girl Scouts from nine different states and put your skills to work improving our public lands as you enjoy the beauty of Olympic National Forest in Washington State.
WHAT IS A “NATIONAL CREW?"Every summer, SCA brings teens together on two-to-five-week experiences to complete maintenance and restoration projects in national, regional, state, and local parks. Led by experienced adult leaders, SCA crews get to visit new places, camp with new friends, and enjoy nature as they conserve habitats and protect natural resources. Learn more about SCA’s National Crews.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?If you love the outdoors and have a passion for service, this experience is for you! The Crew Experience will be an immersive outdoor experience. You will be camping, learning new outdoor skills, and spending most of your days outside. You will also be making a difference by completing a service project that will help future generations enjoy the park. Throughout the experience, you will be applying and learning new leadership skills and making lifelong connections with Girl Scouts from across the country. Find out what your daily Crew Experience will be like.
Katherine, a Girl Scout from Pittsburgh, was on the first all-Girl Scout crew at Shenandoah National Park in 2016.
For any girls that are thinking about doing this trip in the future, I definitely recommend this,” Katherine said. “I had so much fun and I made lifelong friends.”
Check out Katherine’s video about her adventure on the crew:
TELL ME ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC GIRL SCOUT CREW!
- Location: Olympic National Forest in Washington State
- Dates: July 29-August 11
- Projects: Restoring infrastructure in the park while enjoying nature and learning about public lands careers!
- Participants: 10 Girl Scouts, ages 15-18, from nine different states
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?This is an experience, not an expense! Thanks to a generous grant from the Richard King Mellon Foundation, costs for 10 Girl Scouts to participate in this crew on the ground at Olympic are fully paid! There is no program fee for this experience. Your only costs to participate will be gear needed for your trip (i.e. sturdy boots, backpack, long work pants, etc.). Gear rentals may be available from SCA for a small fee.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?
- Enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and a commitment to give this experience everything you’ve got!
- Comfortable sleeping in a tent and spending time outside (no significant experience required – just a willingness to experience the outdoors!)
- You must be 15-18 years old at the time of the Crew (July, 29 2018)
- Be a registered Girl Scout with one of the following six councils:
- Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania
- Girl Scouts of Alaska
- Girl Scouts–Arizona Cactus-Pine
- Girl Scouts of Greater New York
- Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan
- Girl Scouts of Black Diamond (West Virginia)
- Girl Scouts of Maine o Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming
HOW DO I APPLY?This is a competitive application, as there are only 10 total spaces for this experience. Tell us about who you are and why you would enjoy this opportunity.
Questions? Contact GSWPA Customer Care at 800-248-3355 or firstname.lastname@example.org.