Thursday, August 3, 2017

A note from Ranger Greg

My youngest daughter Emily was just a baby when I first started working for Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania as the ranger at Camp Hawthorne Ridge in Girard.

 I remember taking Emily, her two sisters, and two brothers down the Falk Run gorge to explore the creek. I carried her in the baby backpack on the way down, and on the steep climb up, I had to carry my second youngest, Sarah, in my arms. Now, my girls have grown into confident individuals, and they don't need their father to carry them anymore. Instead, I watch proudly as they forge their own paths.

My family has called Camp Hawthorne Ridge home for many years now, but campers and visitors who only spend a few days - or even a few hours - here can experience the deep peace that only nature can provide.

My daughters enjoy camp all year, and so can you.

As a father of daughters, I recognize that every girl deserves and needs time to unplug, find balance, and take in Erie County's uniquely beautiful natural surroundings. When Girl Scouts are hiking, learning archery, or snowshoeing at Camp Hawthorne Ridge, they are also building life skills. They grow more confident in themselves, stretch their limits, and encourage one another in all they do.
We need your support to keep Camp Hawthorne Ridge an affordable and welcoming place for our daughters and our Girl Scouts to call their own. Will you join me?

Tuesday, August 8 is Erie Gives Day from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Your donation to Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania at www.eriegives.org will help me keep Camp Hawthorne Ridge's buildings and grounds safe and maintained for Girl Scouts and community members to enjoy year-round.

It costs about $200,000 to run this camp each year. To keep the camp experience in reach for all families, we look to the generosity of community members like you. You not only help us to keep camp open year after year, you make sure that our camp is accessible to every Girl Scout, even those whose families are experiencing financial hardship.

My hope for my children, especially my daughters, is that their experiences at Camp Hawthorne Ridge have given them the skills and abilities they need to empower themselves, and the strength and confidence to know that they are important, and what they're doing is worthwhile. I want every Girl Scout who visits Camp Hawthorne Ridge to leave more confident and ready to achieve her goals.

Tell all our daughters and Girl Scouts that the world is theirs to explore and that they deserve a camp to call their own through your gift on Erie Gives Day.


With thanks,
Greg Kirschner
Ranger, Camp Hawthorne Ridge

P.S. If you can’t wait to make a difference in the life of a Girl Scout, click here to make a direct gift to Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania now.