Thursday, April 6, 2017

Welcome Ducky to Camp Skymeadow!

Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania (GSWPA) welcomes Pam Williams, a.k.a. Ducky, as the new director of Camp Skymeadow!

Pam Williams
Originally from Lakewood, Colorado, Pam is new to our council but no stranger to Girl Scouts! She has a long history of Girl Scout camp adventures as a girl and as staff.

We can't wait for all the fun that Ducky has in store for Girl Scouts at Skymeadow this summer!

Q&A with Ducky
How long have you been with GSWPA and/or your particular camp?  I am just joining GSWPA, but I have worked at Girl Scout camps for nine summers.

Were you a Girl Scout growing up? Did you go to Girl Scout camp? I was a Girl Scout for 11 years growing up and went to Girl Scout camp. I went to two different camps in Colorado and enjoyed all of the camp offerings; hiking, farm animals, archery, arts and crafts, and dance and drama. Since then, I have worked at Girl Scout camps all over the United States.

Tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, etc.) I have an older brother that is an Eagle Scout, My Eagle Scout dad is still very involved as a Scout master for the Boy Scouts. My mom was a Campfire Girl, but was still very involved with my Girl Scout troop and was an area cookie director.

In my spare time I enjoy traveling to new places (and old). I also enjoy reading books, mostly historical fiction.

What's your favorite camp activity? I love archery and swimming.

What do you like best about working at camp? I love meeting all the new people. I also love working with kids, and just watching them try new things.

What makes the camp you work at so awesome? Skymeadow has so many activities! Fishing, canoeing, hiking trails, sports field, horses, swimming, biking--there's something for everyone.

Do you have a favorite GS camp memory? From when I was a camper: the girls in my cabin were playing a game of pillow toss, during rest time. It was all we could do that didn't make lots of noise, we played for about the entire hour before the counselors told us to stop, it was all we could do to keep from laughing and disturbing the rest of the bunk.

From when I was a staff member: Last summer the waterfront director and I got stranded out on the lake while we had campers getting ready to set out on sailboats. It was miserable, because of the heat, but entirely funny because we were literally up a creek without a paddle.

Learn more or register for exciting summer camp sessions at gswpa.org/camp.