In June of 2013, GSUSA announced the five year Chuck McLane Scholarship available for Girl Scout Gold Award Recipients. The scholarship program awards a $10,000 college scholarship to two (2) recipients each year, up to a total of ten (10) recipients by 2017. This program is made possible through the generous support of the Arconic Foundation (formerly called Alcoa Foundation).
Who is eligible to apply?
- Girl Scout Gold Award recipients who completed a STEM Take Action Project (project involves a STEM field -Science, Technology, Engineering or Math)
- Recipients who will attend an accredited four year college or university as a freshman beginning in the fall of 2017 to pursue and complete studies in a STEM-related field. (At time of submission, applicants may not be enrolled in college yet but will have to confirm enrollment before scholarship can be awarded.)
- Scholarships are awarded to Gold Award recipients with an innovative, sustainable STEM-related Take Action Project that has significant impact on a community.
- Recipients must be enrolled in an accredited four-year college, beginning their freshman year in the fall of 2017, and complete their studies in a STEM-field. (Recipients will be required to submit transcripts after their sophomore year showing they are pursuing studies in a STEM-related field and have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.0.)
- Distribution of payments will be as follows: Recipients will receive the first $5,000 for their freshman fall semester followed by the second $5,000 for her fall junior year.
- Scholarship funds may be used exclusively to defray educational costs such as tuition, fees, books, and supplies, as well as room and board in a college dormitory.
- Girls should submit completed applications to email@example.com by February 13, 2017.
- Each council is responsible for reviewing the girls' applications they receive and for selecting up to two nominees.
- A panel of corporate and community leaders will assist GSUSA in choosing two scholarship recipients from the pool of nominees. Councils and applicants will be notified by May 8, 2017.