Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Camp Corner: Get ready for high adventure at Camp Conshatawba

With activities like a climbing tower, zip line and a low ropes course, plus traditional camp favorites like swimming and archery, Camp Conshatawba has something for every camper! 
Camp Conshatawba camp sits on nearly 300 acres of wooded, hilly terrain in the Allegheny Mountain Range, with a stream running through the camp offering many opportunities for girls to make a splash. It boasts beautiful modern lodges, cozy cabins and platform tents for sleeping.



Camp Conshatawba at a Glance

Location: Summerhill, Pa., Cambria County. Less than 15 miles from Johnstown and approximately 70 miles east of Pittsburgh. (See map.)
Types of Camping: Girls can camp with their troop, family, by herself or with a buddy. 
Girl Scout members and non-members can also reserve Camp Conshatawba. 
Amenities: Climbing wall, traverse wall, low ropes course, zip line, challenge course, archery range, swimming pool, nature center, cross country ski trails, hiking trails, indoor theater stage, playing field and volleyball and basketball courts.







Meet the Camp Staff


Melissa "Rodeo" Anderson
Camp Director

Tell us about yourself: I love spending as much time outside as possible, sun, rain, or snow. I enjoy rock climbing, backpacking, skiing, and paddle boarding. I also play French horn and piano.
Camp has been a major part of my life from age seven on up. I grew up attending YMCA Camp MacLean in southern Wisconsin. I spent six years working on summer staff and volunteering for camp programs with Girl Scouts of Central Illinois. I am super excited to get to experience my first summer as director of Camp Conshatawba!

What's your favorite camp activity?

My favorite camp activity is teaching and participation in both low and high ropes. I also love singing songs and performing silly skits around the campfire!


What do you like best about camp?

I love getting to see and meet Girl Scouts who are first time campers and watch them grow throughout their time at camp. Seeing their smiles as they experience so many amazing opportunities and make new friends are truly priceless!


Do you have a favorite GSWPA camp memory?

So far, one of my favorite memories since starting with GSWPA, was at our January program, Frosty Fun. After taking some of the younger girls on a hike, many said their favorite part of the entire program was finding scat on the trail!



TJ Shank
Camp Ranger


Tell us about yourself: I have a wife, Toni, a nine-month-old daughter, Zoe, and a Border Collie named Buster. I like hiking and camping, playing video games and reading fantasy novels in my free time. 

What's your favorite camp activity? Archery has always been my favorite camp activity; when I was a program staff member as a teenager I was an archery instructor. 

What do you like best about camp? Taking a few moments to truly look around and appreciate the beauty around where I live and work.